QR codes are the easiest way to share information in the real world; users can be sent to a website, get the password for a WiFi network, or show useful information when scanning a QR code.
To use a QR code to share information, users must be able to scan. On iOS, the stock Camera app can scan QR codes, but the same is not true for Android phones. Here’s how to scan a QR code on Android.
Scan QR code on Android
On Android 9.0+, you can scan a QR code using the Google Lens feature built into the Google Assistant app. The Google Assistant app is a stock app and will be available on your Android phone. For phones with older versions of Android or versions that do not have the Google Assistant app, users will need to download a third-party app from the Google Play Store.
- Activate Google Assistant app either by pressing the dedicated key, holding down the home button, or opening the app from the app drawer.
- Tap the lens button. Give the app access to your camera when prompted.
- Point your camera at the QR code and take a picture.
- Google Assistant will display the information it has found. Tap the information you want to use, for example a URL that will open in your default browser.
Older Android versions
If you use Android 8.0 or older, you can download a free QR code scanning app from the Google Play Store, though there are ads.
- Download QR & Barcode Scanner of the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and give permission for it to access your camera and photos.
- Point the app / camera at the QR code you want to scan.
- The app will scan the code and display the information found it.
QR & Barcode Scanner has ads but it is not very intrusive.
QR codes can be found in all sorts of places and it is a great way to provide quick information. Scanning QR codes is basically like making a call or sending an SMS. For users with newer Android versions, this basic tool is provided automatically, but it’s clear that Google has taken a few years to realize that it needs to add a stock option for scanning codes. This possibly came after Apple added one to its camera app on iOS.
The post How to scan a QR code on Android first appears on TechtricksNg.