Slack has a nice signpost called a magic link. When you try to sign in to a Slack workspace, you can send an email, and receive a magic sign that will be sent to your inbox. When you click on the link, it will automatically sign you into your Slack account, and the associated workspaces. You do not need to enter a password.
Change Slack password
Slack accounts are password protected but have a magic connection so you rarely have to login. Most people are signed into their email accounts and Slack defaults to the magic link method which makes it easier to use. That said, your password still works and you can change it whenever you want or you need it.
How to change Slack password
To change your Slack password, you need to know your current Slack password. If you do not remember the default password, you will need to recover it first. To change your Slack password, follow these steps.
- Open Slack.
- Click your profile account at the top and select Profile.
- Click the More Options button and select Account Options.
- Opens a new tab in your browser.
- Click Expand next to the password field.
- Enter your custom password.
- Enter the new password.
- Click Save Password.
If you forgot your password and need to recover it, before you can change it, follow these steps.
- Open the Slack sign page.
- Enter your email.
- Use the magic link that has been emailed to you, to sign up.
- Go to Slack account options page.
- Scroll down to the Password section and click Expand.
- Click Reset Your Password with the Email button.
- You will be sent an email with a reset link.
- Click on the link and create a new password.
Magic links are great and Slack does not regularly sign users out of their desktop or mobile apps account. In most cases, you only need to log in once and rarely again. That said, if you make any major changes to your Slack account eg, if you change the associated email, you will need to enter your password. Such changes cannot be made with a magic connection. Your Slack password is not workplace specific. Attach it to your email. When you change the password, it will be changed for all workspaces associated with your email account.
The post Show how to change your Slack password first on TechtricksNg.