Apple is no stranger to productivity and has its own suite of apps called iWork. IWork includes a document processor, a spreadsheet tool, a presentation tool, and the famous iMovie movie editing tool, among other apps.
Like many of its products, Apple’s iWork devices have their own proprietary format. The .KEY file format is used by Keynote, the display tool in iWork.
Open .key files on Windows 10
The .KEY format is not compatible with PowerPoint. If you use Microsoft Office, its presentation app will not be able to read the format. It may attempt to repair the file, but eventually fails. To open .KEY files on Windows 10, use one of the methods below.
1. Google Slides
Google Slides is a handy tool to use if you want to open a .KEY file. It retains most of the formatting and replaces phones that it does not support.
- Visit Google Slides and click the plus button to create a new Slideshow file.
- Go to File> Open.
- In the window that opens, select the Upload button.
- Click Upload from My Computer.
- Select the .KEY file.
- Wait for the file to upload and Google Slides will open it.
2. View in iCloud
This method guarantees that the file will open with most, if not all of its format and content. The only thing wrong is that you need to create an iCloud or Apple ID to use it.
- Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID.
- Click on the Keynote app.
- Click on the upload icon.
- Select the .KEY file and upload it.
- Once uploaded, you will be able to open it in iCloud (in your browser).
3. Convert to PPTX format
If you not only want to open the MAIN file but also to edit it on Windows 10, you need to convert it to PPTX format. There are online apps that can do the job; some work, some do not.
- Visit him Cloud conversion.
- Click Select Files.
- Select and upload the MAIN file.
- Select PPTX as the format to convert the file to.
- Download the modified file.
4. Request a PPTX file
The main files cannot be opened in PowerPoint but you can save them as a PowerPoint file from the Keynote app. Ask the person who sent you the file to save it as PowerPoint. To save it as a PowerPoint file, follow these steps.
- Open the MAIN file in Keynote.
- Go to File> Export as.
- Select PowerPoint from the menu.
- Select where you want to save the file.
You will not get many displays in MAIN format. PPTX or PDF format is less popular for sharing presentations which is why there is little editorial support for the format. You will be able to view the file in iCloud but if you need to edit it on Windows 10, it is better to convert the file from the Keynote app.
The post Revealed how to open .key files on Windows 10 first on TechtricksNg.