Files can be compressed to different formats. ZIP and RAR formats are the most common formats but there are plenty of other compression formats and you may come across some of them now and then. File compression apps support a variety of formats and there is a chance that your favorite app can export as many or more types of compression files as it supports.
TGZ files on Windows 10
TGZ is a compact file format that you can find on Linux systems. You won’t find it too often on a Windows 10 system but compression apps for Windows 10 can compress and extract TGZ files. If you already have a compression device installed on your system, it is worth checking to see if it supports extracting the TGZ file. If not, try the following apps.
Compress TGZ files
If you want to compress a file to TGZ file format, you can do so with the free app called 7zip. It is a two step process where you have to compress the file twice. Not the most elegant or fastest solution but 7zip has a GUI that should do this quickly.
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-click on the file / folder that you want to tighten.
- Select 7zip from the context menu and select Add the archive from the submenu.
- Open the Drop archive format and select TAR.
- Go ahead and compress the file.
- Once compressed, right-click on the newly created TAR file.
- Select 7zip from the context menu and select A.dd to archive from the submenu.
- Open the Archive format dropdown and select gzip.
- Continue with the file compression.
- The result file will be in the Tar.gz file format.
7zip is an excellent compression and extraction tool. It is very lightweight and you can use it to extract TGZ file.
- Download and install 7zip.
- Open File Explorer and right click on the TGZ file you want to extract.
- Select 7zip from the context table.
- Choose Share to “name.tar folder”.
- The file will section to TAR file.
- Right-click the TAR file and select 7zip.
- Choose Section to ‘folder name’.
- The file / folder will be extracted.
If you do not like to extract the TGZ file in two steps, you can use WinRAR. He can take them out in one step.
- Download and install WinRAR.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the TGZ file you want to take it out.
- Right-click on the TGZ file and select WinRAR Extract to “folder name”.
If you want to compress files to TGZ format on Windows 10, you need to compress them in two steps but with extraction, you have the option to extract them in one step or two. It boils down to whatever app you have already installed. The compression and traction are no different between the apps.
The post Revealed how to open TGZ files on Windows 10 first on TechtricksNg.