Search is one of the many things Slack does very well. If you have sent or received a message or file over Slack, even though it was months ago, you will be able to find it again. Messages are similarly indexed and easily analyzed by each user, channel, or workspace.
Search for specific messages on Slack
Slack as an excellent monitoring tool for both files and messages. If you need to find a message by date, sender, channel, Slack has filters to cover it all. Unlike Google Search parameters where you need to remember the true meaning. You can click through the various search options to refresh your search.
How to find specific messages on Slack
Slack has a single check bar at the top that scans throughout the current workplace. This includes all channels and all DMs.
- Click inside the search bar.
- Enter the cookie of the message you are trying to find where the cookie is located no matter what part of the message you remember.
- From the options, select the channel you want to find. If you do not remember the channel to which the message was sent, you can skip this step.
- Select the sender of the message. Again, if you do not remember who sent the message, you can skip this step as well.
- Select the search option that meets your criteria and load search results.
- Once the search results load, use the filters to further update the results by sender, channel, date, retweet, and more.
Other study options
If you are trying to find a file that was transferred over a particular Slack channel, but you can not remember the name of the conversation that took place around it, you can check all the files that have been shared over channel or DM.
- Click the channel name or DM thread.
- In the window that opens, go to the About tab.
- Go through the file list and select the one you need.
Slack search is not like an email search; it does not offer options such as messages with attachments or files of a specific size. That said, it allows users to filter results by default date, and if a file is attached. It’s important to remember that Slack is a messaging tool and not an email replacement. Its scan parameters work accordingly. Lastly, if you have trouble finding a message, try searching the entire workspace instead of watching it in a specific channel. You may be forgetting which channel the message was sent to. You cannot search multiple workplaces at once.
The post How to Find Specific Messages on Slack appeared first on TechtricksNg.