Game controllers may sound like standard consoles that you can connect to both console and PC but they are not as simple as a keyboard and mouse. Most computers, regardless of shape and model, work with a keyboard and mouse. The same is not true for game controllers.
PS3 controller on Windows 10
PS controllers are very popular if you have a PlayStation. Ideally, if you play on a Windows 10 PC, you should use an Xbox controller with it but you can also use a PlayStation controller.
PlayStation controllers, like Xbox controllers, tend to experience hardware improvements over time. new models are currently being released with the latest PS5 controller. The PS3 is very old (introduced in 2006) and pre-installed Windows 10. You need drivers for the controller to work and you need to use third-party drivers.
Install PS3 drivers
ScpToolkit is a third-party app that installs drivers for unofficial / third-party PlayStation controllers on Windows 10 and that’s what the PS3 controller basically means by not having official drivers available for Windows 10.
Set up a PS3 controller for the installation
- If you have a wireless PS3 controller, or want to use it as a wireless controller, connect the PS3 controller to your computer via the USB data cable.
- If you want to use a PS3 wireless controller, connect its Bluetooth dongle to your system.
- Download ScpToolkit from SourceForge.
- Run the app.
- Do not change the default presets of the app however, if you plan to use the controller via Bluetooth connection, make sure that the ScpToolkit Bluetooth Pair Utility option is enabled.
- Click Install.
- When promised, click on the Run driver installation button.
- Select the drivers you want to install. For PS3 controller, you should take a look Install Dualshock 3 driver and for a Bluetooth connection, and click Next.
- Open the Select drop drop controller and select your administrator from the list.
- Click Next and let the drivers install.
- When the installation is complete, you can PS3 controller with supported games.
Disable driver signature enforcement
ScpToolkit usually works fine as is, but if a driver installation fails, you may need to disable driver signature on Windows 10.
- Open the Start menu and click on the power button.
- Hold down the Press a key and click Restart in the power table.
- go to Troubleshoot> Advanced Options> Startup Options.
- Select the Disable driver signature enforcement option and tap on F7 key to boot to the desk.
- Please try to install the driver again with the ScpToolkit.
PS3 and Steam controller
If you play games on Steam, the process will be much easier. Steam has native support for it.
- Connect the controller to your system.
- Open Steam.
- Steam automatically switch to Big Picture mode and if not, move it to him by hand.
- go to Admin options menu.
- Set the PS3 controller.
Note: some advanced features of the controller may not work but you will be able to play a game comfortably.
If you have a PS3 controller lying around, it’s worth investing some time to get it working. If you want to buy a new controller, and you plan to use it with a Windows 10 PC, it is better to buy an Xbox controller. If your heart is set on a PlayStation controller, get either the PS5 or the PS4 controller to make it easier to set up.
The post Demonstrate how to use the PS3 controller on Windows 10 first on TechtricksNg.