Opening a file on Windows 10 is simple; double click on it and it will open in the default application for the file. If you have recently installed a new application that can handle the file type, you will be prompted to choose which app to open the file with. The screen will display a list of apps to choose from.
How to open this message file
When you double-click on the file and see “How do you want to open this file?” in a nutshell, it may not show you a list of apps you can use to open the file. This usually happens for a number of reasons;
- You do not have an application installed that can open the file.
- You have not set a default application to open the file
- Windows 10 does not know which app has the ability to open a file.
How do you change the app that opens a file?
The “fix” to change the application that opens a file is very simple.
1. Install app
The first thing you should do is install an app that can open the file type.
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-click on the file and select Real estate.
- Go to General tab.
- Take a look at the file type / extension.
- Look for and install an app that can open the file type.
- Double-click the file again and select the newly installed application to open the file.
2. Set default app
If you have installed an application to open the file but still get a blank list with the “How do you want to open this file? ”Quickly, you need to manually install a default application for the file.
- Open the Configuration application with keyboard shortcut Win + I.
- go to Apps.
- Select the Basic apps tab.
- Click Select default apps by file type.
- Locate the file extension on the list and click on the extra button.
- Select the default app from the list.
- Double-click the file and opens in the app.
3. Select an app from the list
“How do you want to open this file?” can quickly force a list of apps to appear.
- Double-click the file you want to open.
- When you see the “How do you want to open this file?” quick click on ‘More apps’.
- Scroll through list of apps and select one.
Note: you can click Look for another app on this PC to see more apps.
“How do you want to open this file?” tidying up is not a bug. Windows 10 is just a way to ask a user what app they want to use when it comes to a new file type. You will find that this happens every time you download a file that you have never opened before. If you install the right app, the problem will go away.
The post “How do you want to open this file” on Windows 10 – How do you modify the application? first appeared on TechtricksNg.