GIMP is a free and reasonably priced alternative to Photoshop. UI is not the best or latest app but the tools you would find in Photoshop.
GIMP has the same tools as Photoshop but many of its tools work differently and the workflow is different. Despite having the same tools, there is an obvious difference between the two apps.
GIMP eraser not working
GIMP has a wiping tool that, like all wipers in an image editor, can erase the part of an image it is used for. It can be used to remove a selected part of an image, to delete part of a masked layer, or simply to delete a line or a random object.
The wiping tool in GIMP is simple but if you are having trouble working and deleting part of an image, try the following solutions.
1. Choose a cover
GIMP devices do not automatically select the level at which they are used. If no cover is selected, a device will not normally work. Some effects or tools may work eg, resize canvas, but most devices cannot work unless you tell them what level to work with.
- Open an image in GIMP.
- At the menu bar, go to Windows> Recently closed docks> rows.
- In the window of the lines, choose a cover. A selective cover has a blue top.
- Use the delete tool to remove part of the image.
2. Unselect all
It is possible that you selected a small part of the selected image ie, the selection is active and you are not aware of it. The wipe tool will only work within the selected quota.
- Tap on the Shift + Ctrl + Keyboard Shortcut to deselect everything.
- Choose a cover.
- Use the sweeping machine.
3. Loosen the cover
Lockable lock prevents any changes and all modifications.
- Go to Row window.
- Select the fold you want to delete.
- At the top, make sure the images next to Lock: they should all be unselected.
- If the images are selected, click on them to deselect the image.
- Use the delete tool.
4. Add an alpha channel
If you are using the wipe tool and you see a solid color appearing under the part you have removed instead of a visible background, there is no transparency in your image / file. You need to add the alpha channel to add transparency in GIMP.
- Open the image in GIMP.
- Right click on cover in the Layers window.
- From the context table, select Add Alpha channel.
- Use the sweeping machine.
5. Install breaker devices
The sweeper is not always a round brush with a round top. You can use all types of brushes, and different levels of hardness for it. Deleting tool settings may prevent the image from being deleted.
- Select the delete tool from the toolbox.
- Make sure that the Potential is 100%.
- Set the hardness to 100%.
- Try deleting it now.
- If it still doesn’t work, use the reset button to reset the eraser settings.
A sweeper is simple in terms of what it does but the machine itself has settings that can reduce its impact when used eg, if the hardness is set to a low value, the sweeper will change pressure to very light gives the impression that it is not working. Go through the settings for the tool and make sure the brush point is adjusted to eliminate the way you need it.
The post How to Fix the GIMP Eraser Not Working first appeared on TechtricksNg.