Windows 10 updates, whether it’s a cumulative version or a Tuesday Patch, are going to address issues that affect the functionality or security of the OS. But even somewhat technical users sometimes report that they can’t finish downloading and automatically installing cumulative updates specific to Windows.
How many times have you seen this issue when you want to install optional updates on Windows 10?
If you are among the many annoying users of the OS, you may have seen the Windows 0x80071160 update error while trying to install some important OS configurations or enhancements from Microsoft. That’s the beast that keeps popping up every time some users try to upgrade their system, but it has a couple of DIY solutions that you might want to try for yourself.
How to fix update error 0x80071160
1. Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows Update Trouble can come to the rescue when you are unable to download and install cumulative updates due to bug 0x80071160. You do not need to be an expert to use the tool as it does not require any user interaction once you run it. It automatically looks for the problem and fixes it, saving you from any hassle.
Follow these steps to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Click on the Start menu or press the Windows key on your keyboard
- Click on the Circumstances option
- Click on it Update & Security
- Choose Trouble
- Click on it Additional Troubleshooters on the right pan
- Click on it Windows Update
- Click on it Run the Troubleshooter to start the process
- You may want to restart your PC once the trouble is done running before you try to update the system a second time. It should take a few minutes for the device to identify and correct the root cause of the problem. Broken Windows Update system files can usually prevent the installation of Windows 10 updates on your PC.
Next, follow these steps to check for the latest Windows 10 updates:
- Click on the start up menu
- Select the Circumstances app
- go to Update & Security
- Find Windows Update
- Click on it Check for updates to download and install any cumulative updates available for Windows 10
The Windows Update Troubleshooter may not always detect problems the first time you run it. That is why you may need to run it again to fix additional bugs if you are still getting Windows 10 update error 0x80071160.
If all of the above fails, try the second Windows update solution – removing the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder.
2. Delete the contents of a software wrapper
The SoftwareDistribution package plays a vital role in the process of updating your Windows 10 PC. It temporarily stores the parts needed by the Windows Update Service to deliver and install new OS solutions or feature enhancements on your PC.
But it is likely that the system will throw a Windows 0x80071160 update error if the contents of the SoftwareDistribution are faulty while you are updating the OS. This leaves you with no choice but to remove the broken parts manually, which will be replaced by Windows 10.
If you are familiar with the command quickly, this solution should be very easy to implement. Here’s how to clean the SoftwareDistribution folder and fix the Windows 0x80071160 update bugs:
- Press the Windows key
- Type CMD in the Windows check box and press Enter
- Right click on the Prompt Command image that comes up and select Run as administrator to launch and use the app with full administration privileges
- Disable Windows Update Service. To do this, copy and paste the stad stad wuauserv command into the CMD interface and press enter.
- Stop the Informative Referral Service by copying and past the bare stop blows command into the UI
- Open the Run control window by pressing the Windows + R key.
- Launch File Explorer and navigate to the C: Windows SoftwareDistribution folder
- Clear the SoftwareDistribution folder by pressing Ctrl + A to select each file and pressing the Delete key
- Restart the Windows Update Service by running the wuauserv clean start command the CMD promptly
- Reactivate the backup transmission service by running the bare starting strokes command the CMD promptly
Now you have got rid of the faulty components of Windows Update Service leading to update error 0x80071160. Windows 10 will replace the files with new ones that won’t give you the wisdom to update.
You can then check to download the latest Windows 10 updates to your PC.
Windows 10 update error 0x80071160 is one of the many issues that you may come across while trying to download the latest solutions and enhancements for the operating system. For other solutions to this problem, including manual installation from the Microsoft Update Catalog, see this guide.
The post How to Fix Update Error 0x80071160 for Windows 10 first appeared on TechtricksNg.