Drive form eliminates everything on it. This is one of the simplest ways to reset a driver and erase its contents. After formatting, you get a driver that is ready to store files or run an operating system for free from any installed files or settings.
With format, there are some exceptions eg a format will not remove encryption from a driver but if you believe that your driver has a virus and is beyond repair, the format is the nuclear option that it is. You can still walk away with a driver that can save / store files.
Configure a driver on Windows 10
On Windows 10, you can configure a driver from File Explorer, the Disk Management tool that offers a GUI for formatting drivers, and the Diskpart tool which is a command line tool.
All tools come with the same shape and border options. One major limitation of these tools is that you cannot drive Windows format while on your desktop.
That’s not to say you can’t format Windows driver. You can but the process will be different and you can only use the Diskpart tool to do it.
Accessibility tool – Windows 10
If you are formatting a driver that is not in Windows ie, a driver that is not Windows installed, you can access the Diskpart tool by following these steps.
- Open Command Prompt with administrative rights.
- Run the following command.
- The Diskpart tool will load.
Diskpart Access – Outside Windows 10
Getting to the Diskpart device from outside of Windows 10 is a bit complicated. You will need to create a Windows 10 installation disk. You do not need to purchase a license but you do need to download the OS.
- Visit Microsoft and download the Media Creation Tool.
- Use the tool to download Windows 10 and burn it to a USB drive.
- Turn on your computer off.
- Connect the USB driver.
- Turn the computer On and off boot from the USB driver.
- Install Windows 10 and select the repair option.
- You will see a handful of tools to repair the system.
- Choose Prompt Command.
- In Command Prompt, apply
Diskpartto activate the device.
Format a driver – File Explorer
For a non-Windows 10 driver, you can use File Explorer to format it. It’s easier than going through the Diskpart tool.
- Open File Explorer.
- Right click on the drive.
- Choose Shape.
- Investigate quick formatting.
- Change the file system if you must.
- Click on Start.
Format a driver – Diskpart
The process for formatting a Windows or non-Windows driver with Diskpart is the same. The only important thing is how to access the Diskpart tool.
- Open Promptly forward with administrative rights and run the
- Make a list of the connected drivers with this command:
- Select the disk by the driver you want to configure:
select disk no.
- Remove all data on the disk with this command:
- Run this command to create a key separation:
create partition primary.
- Configure the driver with this command:
- Gu to shape a drive split, follow steps 1-3.
- Run this command to list the categories:
- Select the volume you want to format:
select volume no.
- The shape of the volume with this command:
You should only use Diskpart if you are trying to configure Windows. File Explorer works just as well as the Diskpart tool but, as a user, you have to make less choice. There is much less chance in a disk or the wrong partition to select a format.
The post Demonstrate how to first install a drive on Windows 10 on TechtricksNg.