Java-based apps were once common on the Windows platform. They were not the largest because Java apps were heavy on the system, but many options were not available. Java apps are still around, although they are not as abundant as they used to be. One of the most popular Java apps is the Java version of Minecraft which outperforms the Bedrock / UWP version in many areas.
If you have a Jar file, it is basically a Java file and you need runtime to open it.
Java is used by a lot of apps, but this does not mean that you will always be running JAR files when you run a Java-based app. You can still open an EXE file. That said, you can still find a pure Java-based file.
With Java files, you may encounter JAR or JRE file extensions. Both can be run in the same way but you have to install the Java runtime on your system. It is possible that it is already installed and you do not have the correct version to run the Java file on your system.
Check for java runtime
Before you can open a JRE or JAR file on Windows 10, you need to check if the Java runtime is installed in your system.
- Open Command Prompt.
- Run the following command.
- If the command does not recognize ‘java’ as an internal or external command,
Operational program or batch file. ‘, This means that your system does not have Java installed.
How to run jar file on windows 10
Now that we have determined whether your system contains Java or not, we can step down to open a JAR file. The first step is to install Java.
Install java runtime
- Go to the official Java website.
- Click the download button, and then click the Agree and download button.
- Run the downloaded EXE file and it will install Java.
- When the installation is complete, you will see a message letting you know that it was successfully installed.
- To verify the installation, open a command prompt and run the following command. This will return the version of Java installed.
1. How to open JAR files – open with
After installing the Java runtime, the JAR file’s icon must be changed automatically to show that the jar is accompanied. You can double-click the file and open it. If the file does not open, or the icon is not updated, follow the steps below.
- right click JAR file and select open with… From the context menu.
- From the menu that opens, Select Java (TM) Platform SE Binary.
- Check ‘Always use this app to open .jar files’.
- The icon will be updated for the JAR file and for all the JAR files in your system, you can now Double-click and open them.
2. How to open JAR files – Settings app
The Open With Context Menu option sometimes fails to associate files with their default apps. If you are unable to open a JAR file by double-clicking after using the first method, try the following.
- Open up Adjustment Application.
- Go to Apps Group of Settings.
- Choose to Default apps tab.
- Scroll to the bottom, and Click Choose Default App by File Type.
- Scroll down the list of extensions and Search. Jar.
- Press Plus button.
- In the window that opens, Select Java (TM) Platform SE Binary.
- While you’re at it, you may want to do the same for all other Java file formats listed.
3. Open JAR File – Command Prompt
JAR files can be opened from a command prompt.
- Open command prompt. You do not need admin rights.
- Complete search Path of JAR file That you want to open.
- use the following Command to open file.
java -jar complete path to file
Troubleshoot JAR Files
Java has been around for a long time and it continues to update today. He said, it still has not overcome all the problems encountered in its earlier years, that is why when you try to open one you may get into some trouble. Jar file.
- Make sure Java is allowed to run on your system and Windows Defender has not blocked it. If it flags the JAR file, and you know it is secure, allow the file on your system.
- You should check the version of Java because version compatibility is sometimes a problem. If the JAR file has not been updated to run on the latest version of Java, you will need to upgrade it to the right.
- If a file says that it requires Java to run, but it downloads as a ZIP or RAR, you need to remove it before opening it.
Java is not as common as it once was. When the knowledge of the platform was more general, but it was not complicated to open JAR, JAVA and JRE files, but it has become somewhat unclear. Some apps that rely on Java often include files that allow the app to run without establishing an official run time, which makes it difficult to tell that it is using Java.
The post How to Open Jar Files on Windows 10 [TUTORIAL] First appeared on TechtricksNg.