Windows 10 has a search feature that can find files; you can search by file by name, by date and by type. The taskbar search works just as well as the search function in File Explorer.
While you can search for files, you need to know what a file is named, on what date or on what date it was created, and on what type of file it is. If it is not the availability of this information, it is difficult to find a file.
Another parameter that can be used to search for a file is its contents. If you remember a part of what was in a file, you can use it as a search parameter. It only works if the file is text-based or if it can store text in it.
Find text in documents
On Windows 10, you can search for text in certain documents or file types. Generally, the supported file types are;
- TXT files
- DOCX files
- LOG files
- XLSX files
There may be other files supported, but many text-based files such as a PS1 script cannot be searched.
Find text in files from File Explorer
Follow these steps to find text in files using File Explorer.
- Open up File Explorer.
- Navigate to the station or folder you think the file may be in.
- Click in the search bar next to the location bar.
- Enter a term what you know is unique to the file and press Enter.
- File Explorer will give you the files it found.
Search text in files with AnyTXT
As mentioned, text search in files is not supported for all file types, so if you want to search in a file that is not supported, you need a third-party app like AnyTXT.
- Download and install AnyTXT.
- Launch the app.
- Open the drop-down list and select the station you want to search.
- Open the drop-down list and select the file format you want to search.
- Go in the term you want to search for.
- Click Go.
Supported file formats
AnyTXT does not add complete and comprehensive support for all text-capable files. It can search for text in files in the following formats.
AnyTXT has the option to add additional formats, but it does not work well when tested. To add additional formats;
- Make the drop-down list for formats.
- Scroll to the end, and click Add New.
- Select a file this is the type of file you want to search for.
There are many third-party search tools available for Windows 10, and some specialize in text search in files. If these tools are not what you need, look for one that supports the file type you are looking for. If you search for a file by the text in it, it is easier to find a file without having to open it.
The article How to search text in documents on Windows 10 first appeared on TechtricksNg.