No matter how powerful your PC is from a hardware standpoint, it will still be limited by the conventional OS it runs on.
That’s why it’s important to get the latest version of the latest OS, and how you can accomplish that is also important.
As for the Windows OS, the latest version you may have at this time is Windows 10 version 20H2 (also known as Windows 10 October Update).
If you want to get your hands on a full and valid copy of Windows 10 20H2, the quickest way to do that is to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant.
What is a Windows 10 update assistant?
Simply put, Windows 10 Update Assistant is a tool created by Microsoft that allows users to upgrade their Windows 10 PCs to a newer version, up to the latest available one.
In addition to being used as an OS update, the Windows 10 Update Assistant can be used indirectly to help repair common PC issues, as it basically replaces old files system with a new copy of the latest versions.
The Windows 10 update assistant is 100% free, and can be downloaded directly from Microsoft’s official website.
How do I use the Windows 10 update assistant?
Windows 10 is augmented to be as user-friendly as possible in every way, and this includes the installation and update process.
Here’s a brief description of how you can use the Windows 10 Update Assistant to upgrade your current version of Windows 10 to Windows 10 20H2:
- Download the official Windows 10 update supporter from the Microsoft website
- Double-click the client to launch it
- There is no prior configuration process as the program is 100% portable.
- Windows 10 Update Assistant will go on to scan your PC to find out which version of Windows 10 you are running
- As soon as the device finishes scanning your PC, press Update now
- The tool now scans your PC for compatibility issues, and measures how much storage space it needs to apply the latest updates.
- You will now be given two options:
- Update this PC now
- Create installation media
- Click on it Update this PC now, and wait for the program to run its course
Your PC will start by itself a few times, and you will need to follow the on-screen instructions from time to time when they appear.
However, this is completely normal, and once you are done, you will have a fresh copy of Windows 10 20H2 installed on your PC.
Windows 10 Update Assistant vs the media creation tool
If you have a habit of updating your PC at all times, you may already know what Windows 10 Update Assistant is.
Additionally, you may have noticed a similar device on the same download page, called the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
If so, you may have wondered what the difference is between the two, and whether one is better than the other.
Here is the short version: both programs can be used to update your PC to the latest version.
However, the difference in approach is:
- The Windows 10 update assistant is for update your Windows 10 PC only
- Media Creation Tool is for updating your PC and create installation media that can be used for other PCs
Windows 10 Update Assistant vs. Automatic Windows Updates
Another way you can update your PC is to use the native Windows 10 Update tab. This feature is built into the Windows 10 OS, and can be accessed by doing the following:
- Press the Windows key until the Start menu
- go to Circumstances
- That’s the cog shape button in the Start tab
- Choose Update & Security
- In the Windows Update tab, press Check for updates to scan for new updates that may be available for your PC
The difference between the Windows 10 Update Assistant and the Windows Update menu is that the latter works automatically, scanning the Microsoft servers at regular intervals for available updates.
On the other hand, updating your PC through the Windows Update registry is less reliable, as many Windows 10 update errors occur this way.
Because of this, the Windows 10 Update Assistant, as well as the Media Creation Tool, can both be used to update your OS, even when error messages are executed by the automated methods.
Windows 10 Update Assistant: Is it worth it or not?
While there are many ways in which a user could update their PCs, the fact of the matter is that from many perspectives, Windows 10 Update Assistant is the fastest and most reliable.
This is because it can always be used as a backup plan in case the other methods lead to update errors, and because it can be used to update your PC with the -update feature updates as soon as they hit live.
Overall, Windows 10 Update Assistant is an effective tool for those who want to run the latest OS on their PCs.
What methods do you use to upgrade your PC? Let us know by sharing your preferences in the comments section below.
The post How to use the Windows 10 update assistant to first appear on TechtricksNg.