File sharing via a chat application tends to confuse things. Files are shared with messages, so you have a very long disorganized conversation thread.
Going back to find a file is tedious and often they get lost in a conversation. Microsoft Teams make it easier to find shared files add a dedicated file tab to each channel created under each team. This page lists all the files shared about it, making it easier to find, view and edit.
Microsoft Teams files are not visible
Microsoft Teams has a dedicated file tab for each channel, and it has a main file tab that you can access from the left column. The main file tab shows each file, from all teams and all channels. This is an easy way to search for files.
If one of these tabs is empty, either the main file or the tab files in a channel, even though files were sent over Microsoft Teams, try the solutions below to fill in the tab.
1. Check the Sharepoint folder
When you share a file about Microsoft Teams, it is uploaded to a folder on your Sharepoint website. If a file is moved to another folder, it will no longer appear on the Files tab of the thread over which it was originally shared. All you have to do is move the file back.
- Visit the Sharepoint Web site for Microsoft Teams.
- Go to the Documents tab, en select the channel the file is shared.
- If the file is not there, look at other channel folders.
- When you find the file, select it and click the More Options button.
- Select ‘Move to’ from the context menu.
- Select the channel to which you want to move the file.
Note: Files should NOT be stored in the root of documents. They will not appear in Microsoft Teams.
2. Check the name of the Sharepoint folder
When you create a new channel for a team, a folder of the same name is created in Sharepoint. If you later rename the channel or Sharepoint folder, the files shared across it will disappear. Make sure the name of the directory in Sharepoint matches the name of the channel in Microsoft Teams.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Note the name of the channel with the empty tab files.
- Visit your Sharepoint website in your browser.
- Choose the team that is the channel was created under.
- Go to his Documents.
- Look for the folder containing the file.
- Match the name of the folder to the team name. If the names are not the same, rename the directory.
3. Shared item limit
Although Microsoft Teams offers users a lot of storage space, there seems to be a limit of 5000 items. If you have shared more than 5000 items (files or folders), the additional items will not appear. Consider trimming your library. You can read more details here about Sharepoint limits, and understand how it applies to your license type.
4. Microsoft Teams Education – Android App
There is one exception to files that do not appear on the Files tab. If you use a Microsoft Teams education license and shared assignments in a classroom, the Android app may not display the Classroom Materials folder. If so, you need to update to the latest version of Microsoft Teams on your Android device. This is a new feature that was first introduced for iOS and later for Android.
Microsoft Teams File Sharing – Conclusion
Files that do not appear more often or not on the Tab page are related to the directory structure of your Sharepoint website. As a rule of thumb, do not rename channels or Sharepoint folders for a channel once it is in active use. The connection between the two is static and can cause all kinds of problems if you want to view and edit files.
The reported Microsoft Teams files do not appear in the directory [FIXED] first appeared on TechtricksNg.