File Explorer can display thumbnails for images and videos. For audio files ie, those related to music purchased online or ripped from a CD, File Explorer can display album art if it is rooted in the file.
If you have Microsoft 365 installed on your system, you may see thumbs up for Word documents and PowerPoint presentations. These toes are usually the cover or first page / slide of that file.
In general, documents do not show toes. They usually have a thumbnail that shows the default app ready to open / read. The same is true for PDF files though, you can show them thumbs up.
PDF image not appearing on Windows 10
PDF files can display thumbs but File Explorer alone cannot generate them. The fact is that Windows 10 (and with File Explorer extension) does not support thumbnails for PDFs and many other file types.
If you can’t view PDF toes for your files in Windows 10, there are two simple ways to fix it.
1. Adobe Acrobat Reader
To display PDF toes in Windows 10, you need to install an app that can generate them.
- Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader (it’s free).
- Run the app and click ‘Set as usual’ on the home screen.
- In the window that opens, click the Change button.
- Select Adobe Acrobat Reader from the applications list.
- Return to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- go to Edit> Preferences.
- Go to General tab.
- Enable the “Enable PDF thumbnail preview in Windows Explorer” option.
- Scroll down and click OK.
- Allow Adobe Reader to install additional software.
- Open File Explorer.
- Navigate to a folder with PDF file innte.
- The PDF file will show a thumbnail preview.
2. Edit Windows menu
However, this configuration should be applied if the first one does not work, Adobe Acrobat Reader must be installed on your system and the thumbnail option must be enabled. enable in its settings.
- Tap on the Keyboard shortcut Win + R. to open the run box.
- In the run box, apply
regeditand tap on Enter.
- Navigate to the following a key.
- Double-click the AppID value.
- Enter the following in the data box.
- Click All right.
- Restart the system no Explorer.exe.
- The PDF files should now display a thumbnail.
3. View a PDF file in the Preview pane
Adobe Acrobat Reader is not a great app. It’s slow and poor in terms of features, especially if you compare it to other free options available. If you do not want to use Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can preview PDF files in the File Explorer Preview Panel.
Of course, the Windows 10 restriction still applies so you need to install a free app called Sumatra PDF Reader.
- Download and install Sumatra PDF Reader.
- Open File Explorer.
- Go to See the tab.
- Enable Preview pane from the button on the left.
- Navigate to a PDF file and select it.
- The preview pane will show a small picture of the first page of the file.
PDF toes that do not appear on Windows 10 are an old bug that plagued users who had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, or from Windows 8 / 8.1 to Windows 10. It was a bug on the Adobe part held since then. If you still can’t view PDF toes, the corrections above resolve issues for you.
The post PDF Thumbnail Not Showing on Windows 10 [FIXED] first appeared on TechtricksNg.