Windows Photo Viewer is an old Windows 7 app for viewing photos. By default, the app cannot be used on Windows 10 but a simple registry can be enabled again.
This app, although technically obsolete, is still one of the best photo viewers you can get on Windows 10. The stock photos app is on Windows 10, although it is full of features , still slow and does not offer the best photo viewing experience.
Windows Photo Viewer does not have many features but it does have some editing features; you can convert images by clicking the arrow buttons on the control bar at the bottom.
Unable to convert image in Windows Photo Viewer
If you are trying to convert photos using Windows Photo Viewer, and they do not convert, check for the following obstacles.
1. Check file attributes
If there is a particular image that you cannot convert in Windows Photo Viewer, check that the file is easy to read. When a file is read-only, edits are blocked.
- Right-click on the file.
- Choose real estate from the context menu.
- Go to General tab.
- At the bottom, take a look at the Read-only attributes box.
- Click Enter.
- Feuch turning the image on.
2. Check file permissions
Another reason may be that you cannot convert an image, you do not have permission to edit the file. This usually happens when you import photos from a camera.
- Right click on the image and select real estate from the context menu.
- Go to Security tab.
- Choose your username, and click Edit.
- Enable all permissions or uncheck all permissions under the ‘Deny’ column.
- Click OK.
- Please change the image now.
3. Add user access
The previous method may not work if your user is not listed. In that case, you have to add it.
- Right-click on the file and select real estate from the context menu.
- Go to Security tab.
- Click on the Edit button.
- Click Add.
- Enter your username in the ‘Enter the names of the items to select’.
- Click ‘Look at names’.
- Once added, allow new additions full user permission to edit the file (see previous solution).
4. Try a different app
While Windows Photo Viewer is a great app, and it continues to work seamlessly in most cases, you can always use a different app to convert photos.
- Open the image in the stock Photos app.
- At the top, click the rotate button or tap on the Key Ctrl + R.
- When you have turned the image on, click on it more options button at the top right.
- Select Save as.
- Save the new image.
5. Run system file scan
File permissions often prevent a file from being edited and an image version edits the file. If you still can’t convert the image in Windows Photo Viewer after trying to resolve the permissions, there may be a problem with the system files.
- Open Promptly forward with administrative rights.
- Run this command:
- Let the scan finish and repair any files he can.
- Next thing, run this command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Again, let the command termination.
- Restart the system.
- Try converting the file.
Save the change
Windows Photo Viewer doesn’t have a save button but when you close the app after converting an image, you’ll see the ‘Save’ message appear briefly on the app. If you are using a different app to convert images, eg the Stock Photos app or IrfanView, make sure to save the file after converting.
Windows Photo Viewer usually does not run into problems if there is a problem with the file you are viewing. It is mostly a simple app that works without any problems. The only exception is if the app cannot read EXIF data, where file management information is stored. In that case, it is a good idea to use another app.
The post Photos in Windows Photo Viewer Won’t Rotate (FIXED) appeared first on TechtricksNg.